join us! seeking candidates for the role of vice president for finance & operations
The Vice President for Finance and Operations (VPF&O) is the business partner to the CEO, staff and board, providing insight on a broad range of financial, operational and administrative matters, within the context of our community foundation structure.
One of ECF’s core principles is our focus on equity. We believe in inclusion and the richness of ideas and perspectives and actively invite a diversity of candidates. Qualified applicants can apply by October 31, 2021.
The Vice President for Finance and Operations (VPF&O) is the business partner to the CEO, staff and board, providing insight on a broad range of financial, operational and administrative matters, within the context of our community foundation structure. This is a hands-on and participative role, leading a small team to deliver financial and operating systems and services to safeguard assets and ensure staff can successfully deliver programs and services in alignment with our strategic plan and annual action plans.
Beyond finance and accounting, the VPF&O oversees fund management, investment support, operations and technology, and human resources. The VPF&O is also responsible for financial management of Evanston Cradle to Career, a collective impact entity of which ECF is a member, to fulfill ECF’s role as fiscal sponsor.
The VPF&O serves as the Foundation’s primary liaison for bank relations, audit/tax services, investment custodian, employee benefits, pro bono and Council on Foundations legal counsel, and shares responsibilityfor fundholder relations and interface with network/computer consultant and database developers.
Reports tp: President & CEO
Staff include: Accounting Manager, Database and Donor Services Associate (who also reports to the Philanthropy team), Office & Technology Manager, Intern(s)
Board Committee Responsibility: Audit, Finance, Governance and Investment Council
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, intellectual curiosity, and mature judgment; core values align with ECF’s mission and strategic priorities; open to understanding the culture and history that have shaped Evanston as a community
- Minimum of a BS in accounting or finance, ideally a CPA
- At least twelve years in accounting and finance positions of increasing responsibility, including fund accounting and staff management; recent or current experience with a grantmaking organization or nonprofit preferred.
- Overall background includes five or more years of broad financial, administrative and operations management responsibility, and board relations experience
- Willing to dive deeply into the realm of community foundation finance and legal considerations, to become the Foundation’s resource when crafting programs, structuring projects or adapting approaches to meet community needs and opportunities.
- Previous experience includes final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either an organization or significant program area
- Works well across and within teams; collaborates effectively with community investment and philanthropy colleagues and ECF stakeholders
- Technology savvy, including knowledge of database and funds management systems; keenly aware of security risks and protocols to manage exposure
- Sensitive to needs of all staff; willing to listen, coach, connect, develop resources as needed by individual staff members from time to time
- A successful track record in setting priorities; solid analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision-making
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
One of ECF’s core principles is our focus on equity. We believe in inclusion and the richness of ideas and perspectives and actively invite a diversity of candidates. As an organization, we believe it is vitally important to provide a safe working environment for our employees, volunteers, and visitors to reduce the risk of exposure to, or spreading of, the COVID-19 virus. It is a requirement of employment that every staff member will receive all recommended doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to schedules published from time to time by the Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention (CDC), except if a reasonable accommodation has been granted based upon disability or religion.
If you would like to be considered for our Vice President of Finance and Operations opportunity, please send an email to ECF Search. Please include a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in the position and the relevance of your experience and education. Indicate in the subject line: YOUR NAME – VP of Finance and Operations. Please submit your materials before October 31, 2021.