The Evanston Community Foundation provides a home for permanent funds established by other nonprofit organizations as a way of providing for their own long-term sustainability.
Like donor designated funds, organizational endowments return annual distributions to that organization while the principal continues to grow. Any nonprofit can enjoy the benefit of ECF's investment policies and practices for bequest gifts, or for funds set aside for long-term investment. Income from endowment is one way to diversify revenue.
why it makes sense
Endowments are at the heart of our mission, so we’re a responsible choice for smaller organizations that want to concentrate on their missions. The Foundation has an impressive track record through its 29 years, making ECF a good partner for organizations of any size. Because all funds are commingled for investment, we offer to every organization the diversification of risk of a well-balanced $20 million portfolio. Rigorous attention to benchmarks and the close monitoring of funds, whether your assets are $25,000 or $2.5 million, are advantages we offer.
Achieve sustainability of an organization through the power of endowment. $100,000 designated in 1988 was worth $288,162 in 2014.
supporting an organization
Contributing to an organization’s existing endowment at ECF is a way for individuals to invest — at any level — in that organization’s future. If you’re interested in establishing a new fund to benefit a specific organization, see donor designated funds.
current organizational endowments
at the Evanston Community Foundation
Center for Independent Futures Fund • Forms innovative partnerships to create product and service models that give adults with disabilities and their families the skills and opportunities to realize a full life.
Warren 'Billy' Cherry Scholarship Fund at Cherry Preschool • Supports outreach efforts to make the preschool accessible to families regardless of their ability to pay. The school is named after Warren W. Cherry an outstanding Evanston educator, community leader, and friend of young children.
Chessmen Legacy Fund • Established in memory of Morris Barefield and Charles Thomas to support Evanston youth and elderly.
Chicago Zen Center Fund • Supports the mission and programming of the Center.
ETHS Educational Foundation Fund • Distributes funds to Evanston Township High School in order to complement, enhance and enrich, beyond the means of conventional public funding, opportunities that further the educational mission of ETHS. Includes the component funds:
- Winifred Guthrie Anderson Early Childhood Education Award • Annual award for senior who excelled in early childhood education coursework at ETHS.
- Oliver Baty Cunningham Memorial Prize Fund • Annual award for Outstanding ETHS Senior Male.
- David B. Fodor Musician Residency Program Fund • Supports annual artist-in-residency program at ETHS.
- Richard A. Giesen Memorial Scholarship Fund • Annual scholarship award for graduating senior who has been granted admission to Norhwestern University and plans to study business or finance.
- Margaret Gunn Scholarship Endowment at ETHS • Annual awards in memory of Margaret Gunn, class of 1945.
- William and Stella (Levas) Ketter Scholarship Fund • Supports annual scholarship to a graduating ETHS senior based on financial need and academic achievement.
- Jannette E. Lee Memorial Award Fund • Supports three annual awards for graduating ETHS seniors who have been consistent, supportive members of academic and extracurricular organizations in addition to maintaining strong academic records.
- Joseph and Linnie Lee Moragne Memorial Scholarship Fund • Annual awards for African-American ETHS graduates demonstrating high achievement and leadership.
- Sydney M. Pond Vocational Education Fund • Distributions will be used to enrich the educational experience of students enrolled in Career and Technical Education courses and programs at ETHS.
- Ron Sellke Mathematics and Citizenship Lecture Series Fund • Supports annual lecture presented by a renowned mathematician to ETHS students and the Evanston community.
- Unterman Fund for ETHS • Supports the educational experience of needy students of good character and academic ability.
- Barry Zwick Football Scholarship Fund • Annual scholarship award for at least one graduating senior who participated in the football program.
Evanston Environmental Assocation Fund • Program and operating support for the Evanston Environmental Association.
Evanston Environmental Education Fund • Advances environmental awareness and promotes environmental stewardship in Evanston through the Evanston Environmental Association.
Evanston Fourth of July Association Fund • Supports family-oriented entertainment events on the 4th of July and throughout the summer.
Evanston History Center Joan Barr Smith Endowment for Women's History • Honors former Evanston mayor Joan Barr Smith and the many other women who have served as leaders in Evanston and supports the work of the Evanston Women's History Project at the Evanston History Center.
Evanston Symphony Orchestra Association Fund • Delivers quality, affordable, accessible classical music to the community.
Grady Bird Sanctuary Fund for the Evanston Environmental Association • Supports repair and maintenance of the Association's bird sanctuary.
Literature for All of Us Fund • Encourages literature appreciation in youth.
North End Mothers' Club Fund • Benefits the children of Evanston by promoting and advancing educational, charitable, civic, health, and welfare activities in the community.
North Shore Village Fund • Benefits a network of services enabling seniors to live independently in their homes as vital members of the community.
Roycemore School Endowment Fund • Provides support for faculty and program-related projects. Includes:
- Eisner Endowment for Roycemore School
Second Baptist Church Ione S. Brown Scholarship Fund • Provides scholarships to qualified members of Second Baptist Church who participate regularly n an organization, youth activity or worship services at Second Baptist.
Frances Willard House Fund • Preserves and interprets the Frances Willard House Museum and its historic collections to promote vibrant discussion of Willard's life and her work on behalf of women, temperance and human rights.
Youth Job Center Endowed Fund • Supports employment-related services for disadvantaged and at-risk youth.