letter of inquiry
How to apply — the first step is to submit a brief Letter of Inquiry. After a review, selected organizations will be invited to submit a full proposal.
types of grants
Capacity building: organizational initiatives that focus on building infrastructure to support an organization’s long-term growth and development to better fulfill its mission (e.g. strategic plans, board development, staff development, technology upgrades, revenue-generating staff positions).
Program: continuing improvements to proven programs or projects that strengthen an organization’s ability to fulfill its mission and show long-term impact, new initiatives, pilot projects, bridge funding, and capstone funding. We encourage collaboration.
Submit your responses and documents on ECF’s online application system*. Download the Letter of Inquiry (LOI) or review all documents and deadlines. Please submit a Letter of Inquiry by January 15, 2019 at 11:59pm
*please note we are now using a new grants system
LETTER OF INQUIRY: ORGANIZATION INFORMATION
1. What is your organization/group’s mission and scope of work?
2. The Evanston Community Foundation is committed to an Evanston that is equitable for all residents. We expect our grantees to share in this commitment. Please answer the following:
a. Does your organization or group have a written diversity/equal opportunity policy? If yes, please attach.
What year was the policy adopted? What year was the policy last amended?
b. How does your organization’s leadership reflect the demographics of the community you serve to ensure diverse perspectives needed at decision-making levels? You may provide a rationale or action plan with steps toward diversity.
c. Do you collect demographic information of constituents? If so, how? If not, what are the barriers to doing this?
d. What progress have you made in the past year, pertaining to the above questions?
LETTER OF INQUIRY: PROJECT INFORMATION
3. Grant type:
a. Capacity Building: Organizational initiatives that focus on building infrastructure to support an organization’s long-term growth and development to better fulfill its mission (e.g. strategic plans, board development, staff development, technology upgrades, revenue-generating staff positions).
b. Program: Continuing improvements to proven programs or projects, new initiatives, pilot projects, bridge funding, and capstone funding to show long-term impact. We encourage collaboration.
4. Project summary and description (if applicable, include how this project qualifies as a program enhancement)
LETTER OF INQUIRY: CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT REQUESTS ONLY
5. How will this grant help develop your organization?
6. With this increase in capacity, how will your organization be positioned to better serve Evanston?
LETTER OF INQUIRY: PROGRAM GRANT REQUESTS ONLY
5. Why are you undertaking this specific program? What impact in Evanston do you hope to realize?
6. Who will be served by your program? How many are Evanston residents?
7. How will you strive to ensure access and break down barriers of participation in Evanston? How do you give voice to program participants in determining your current and future programming?
LETTER OF INQUIRY: FINANCIAL INFORMATION
8. Please attach:
a. Project Budget (see template)
b. Optional: a brief budget narrative to address any significant variances
c. Current Fiscal Year-to-Date Budget to Actual, and Prior Fiscal Year Budget to Actual
d. Page 1 of two most recent 990s (if your organization has been in existence for two years)